Potato Rosti is a Swiss invention, and oh what a delicious one! Think Potato Pancakes meet Hash Browns. It has a crispy outer shell with a soft and perfectly cooked potato centre. For me it really is one of my most favourite brunch dishes, and I am lucky enough that is one of my husband Dan The Mans signature dishes so I don’t have to lift a finger, lucky me!
Potatoes galore form the base of this dish – grated and then squeezed to get rid of as much liquid as possible. Simply mixed with seasoning, a sliced spring onion, although you could easily use half an onion instead if you’d like, an egg, corn flour which ensures for a crispy texture and a combination of grated cheddar and cream cheese make this just a little bit decadent, not just your normal Potato Rosti! Choose waxy potatoes like Desiree for the best result. And make sure you don't rinse the potato after you grate it. This will wash away the starch, which helps bind the mixturehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NA5AxLBw0U
- 1 kg Potatoes
- Vegetable Oil
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 Egg
- 1 Spring Onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup Cornflour
- 1 tbs Cream Cheese
- Peel your potatoes and grate them. Place the potatoes into a colander and squeeze as much water out as possible. Add the grated potato to a bowl and combine with all the ingredients except the oil.
- Mix well by hand to ensure it has incorporated well. Form the potatoes into patties depending what size and thickness you prefer. I like them about 10 cm width by 1 cm thickness.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a non-stick pan on a medium flame. Once the pan is hot place three to four rosti on the pan and cook. Do not overcrowd the pan as this makes it hard to flip later.
- Cook for 15 minutes flipping halfway through. I find using two flippers to assist in flipping so they don’t break up is a good idea. They can be quite fragile.
- The rosti should be golden brown and crispy on the outside and the potato cooked all the way through so control your flame accordingly. Stack them up and serve immediately. Sour cream and smoked salmon are a great combination.