Several years ago we went for a vacation to Florida. There I tasted this world-famous cake for the first time and I knew, I needed the recipe. Even without the original key limes, this cake tastes amazing and everybody who had the chance to taste it, loved it.
Key Lime Pie
Did you know that the Key-islands Lime is yellow like a lemon? And from these, the original Key Lime Pie is made. However, we don't have them in Slovakia, so I need to take what the grocery store offers. Nevertheless, even with green limes this cake is amazing, refreshing and a perfect dessert for a summer brunch with friends.
- 400 g graham crackers
- 400 g unsweetened condensed milk
- 130 g melted butter
- 150 g brown sugar
- 4 whole egg yolks
- 4 whole limes
- 1 cup whipped cream for decorating
- Crush the crackers till they are flour-alike and mix them with melted butter. With a spoon, push the mixture on the bottom of a cake form and also on the sides.
- Mix the condensed milk with the brown sugar and zest of 2 limes, till the sugar dissolves. The add the egg yolks and whisk well.
- Add the juice from 4 limes into the condensed milk and whisk. The juice causes thickening of the milk. Pour the filling into the prepared crust and bake on 180 degrees celsius for about 45 minutes.
- Let cool completely, I recommend you place the cake into the fridge for several hours, so the filling can set.
- Serve decorated with whipped cream and small pieces of lime.