Honey, as a natural sweetener and preserver adds also amazing flavor to any baked goods you make. In combination with coffee filling (which I love) it gives you a unique taste experience. This cake not only tastes great, it also looks wonderful and I am sure, once you taste it, it will become one of your favourites.
Honey cake with coffee filling
This layered honey cake with coffee filling is a perfect combination of tastes you should try. Enjoy a piece of this dessert with a cup of coffee and your day will be definitely nicer.
- 350 g wheat flour
- 100 g powder sugar
- 50 g softened butter
- 2 tbs honey
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 tsp soda bicarbonate (alternatively baking powder)
- 50 g caster sugar
- 100 ml brewed coffee
- 200 g butter
- 100 g corn starch
- 250 ml milk
- 100 g powder sugar
- 150 g dark chocolate
- 30 g coconut fat
- 1 tbs sunflower oil
- For the dough, first whisk the eggs, sugar, honey and butter in a small pot and cook (while whisking) till all ingredients are melted together.
- Sieve the flour and the soda bicarbonate in a bowl, pour the egg mass in and knead a compact dough. Divide the dough into 3 equal pieces (each of approx. 200 g).
- With a dough roller roll each piece of dough flat (2-3 mm) and cut out a circle with 20 cm diameter. Knead the rests of the dough together into a fourth piece and roll as well as the other ones. This way you get 4 pieces of 20 cm circles. Place them on a baking tray with baking paper and bake on 180 degrees celsius for about 8-9 minutes, till the dough starts getting light brown. Let cool.
- Prepare the filling. First, melt 50 g of caster sugar into caramel (no whisking), add 100 ml of brewed coffee and stir till you get a nice brown coffee-caramel liquid. Set aside.
- Whisk the milk with corn starch, pour it into the coffee-caramel liquid and cook (while whisking) till you get a thick pudding mass. Let cool.
- Whisk the softened butter with 50 g of powder sugar, and spoon by spoon add the coffee pudding and whisk till you get a smooth cream.
- Now take one of the baked doughs, stir over it a quarter of the filling, put another dough on it, again filling etc. till you place the last piece of dough. Use the remainder of the filling to cover the sides of the cake with it. The top layer stays uncovered with filling. Put the cake as it is now into fridge and let it set there over night.
- Next day, melt the chocolate, coconut fat and the oil in a bain-marie, pour it over the cake and let set. Decorate with coffee beans and serve.