Greek Rustic Style Lamb Shanks
When I was spending my summers with my grandma I remember her preparing large dishes like this and taking it to the village oven to bake. I remember my cousins bringing the food back home and it was just heaven! The intoxicating smell and the delicious meat falling apart. This dish is traditional and old; and all you need is a clay pot to almost recreate the flavours of the Greek village.
- 2 lamb shanks
- 2 garlic cloves cut in half
- 400 g can of chopped tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- dried oregano
- extra virgin olive oil
- 4 potatoes cut in wedges
- Preheat your oven to 190C. Insert one garlic clove in each of the lamb shanks. Season well with salt, pepper and the oregano. Rub them well with olive oil and brown each side on a fry pan.
- Place the lamb in your ovenproof dish (preferably a clay pot), drizzle all over the drippings from the fry pan and cook in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lamb and add the potatoes around and pour over the chopped tomatoes. Season to taste and return to the oven for meat and potatoes to cook fully, about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- If meat is cooked before the potatoes, remove it and keep it warm, then return the potatoes to cook to perfection. Serve with a cool red wine and a green salad. Enjoy!