Bread ka kuskura
A great way to use up leftover bread (and avoid waste!), this recipe is simple to make with a few key Indian spices.
- 8-10 Bread slices, coarsely crumbed
- 1 Yellow onion, diced
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 1 tsp Black mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 pinch Sugar
- Crumb up the bread, crusts and all, by rolling it gently between your fingers.
- Warm up a pan and stir frying the black mustard seeds, asafoetida and cumin, before adding the curry leaves.
- Add the diced yellow onion and the sliced green chilli to the spice mix in the pan and continue cooking.
- Once the onion is soft and golden, add in the breadcrumbs, turmeric and red chilli powder, as well as a the salt, sugar and lemon juice.
- After about 10 minutes, the flavours should be well combined and the breadcrumbs should be slightly crunchy.
- Turn out into a bowl or plate and serve with a side of natural yoghurt and a sprinkle of chopped coriander. A spoonful of mango or lime pickle can also be added to taste.