I belong to a big family who absolutely LOVES to eat. We grill, we bake, we cook, and we share our food and tables with everyone. Our heritage allows us to explore and cook with a gazillion spices and aromatics. We love rich and fragrant food. And curries are a part of our daily lives. This recipe is a no fail recipe for beginners, and a sure way to reach anyones heart!
Creamy Ginger Chicken Curry (Makhni Handi)
The heart wants what it wants, right? No harm in indulging every once in a while, but there is definitely harm in over indulging. Here are two variations of the same Handi (curry). The first one ain't for the faint hearted, because it's creamy, and it's rich. Paired best with soft, buttery naans or fluffy white rice topped with butter. The second one of course is for everyone to devour. And mind you, not only is it as delicious, but it's also the healthier amongst the two having just lean chicken meat, and plant based (olive) oil used sparingly. Paired with brown rice and a hearty salad, it's a splendid meal.
- 500 g Boneless Chicken Cubes
- 6 medium Tomatoes, pureed
- 6 whole Green Chillied
- 1.5 tbs Ginger (crushed or minced)
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red Chili Powder or Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Ginger Powder
- 2 tsp Salt, adjust according to taste
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp Dried Fenugreek
- 1/2 cup Dairy or Coconut Cream
- 3 tbs Olive Oil
- 1/2 bunch Fresh Coriander
- 1/4 handful Ginger, sliced for Garnishiced
- 3 tbs Yogurt (any)
- 1 tsp Garlic Paste
- 1/2 tsp Bi Carb Soda or Meat Tenderizer
- Marinate the chicken and set aside for 30 minutes.
- In a skillet or pan add Oil and fry Ginger and Green Chillies until fragrant. Approximately a minute and a half on medium heat. Don't let it burn or stick.
- Then add the pureed tomatoes, Chili Powder, Turmeric, Ginger Powder, Kashmiri Chili powder, and Salt. Let cook until oil separates itself from it.
- Now add the marinated chicken. Cover with a lit and let cook on medium-high heat until the chicken is done. About 6 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken cubes.
- Take the lid off and reduce water quantity until you reach desired consistency.
- Sprinkle Garam Masala, Fenugreek, Coriander Powder, and half of the Coriander. Give it a good mix then remove from heat.
- Now add the cream, after removing from the stove, and mix it well.
- Garnish with Coriander, Green Chillies, and Ginger. And serve with Butter Naans or Plain Rice.