I love choux pastry and when I want to bake something special for my guests, I often choose this one. However, the traditional way how to make this dessert is to make it with caramel filling. Well, in a season of strawberries, I got an better idea. And lucky for my guests, it didn't stay just in the stage of a thought. I transformed it into a real treat that everybody loved. I invite you to try these delicious choux pastries with fresh strawberry filling. And I promise, you will love them.
Choux pastry with strawberries
For a special occasion. For gourmets who don't bother to do an extra step and bake some créme de la créme treat which will make all your guests speechless. I baked these, posted them online and everybody wanted either the recipe or me to bake the choux pastry for them. So here you are, my food loving friends, the recipe :-). As I know you are capable to bake yourself these :-)))).
- 200 ml water
- 100 g butter
- 100 g wheat flour
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 whole egg yolk
- 250 g cream cheese
- 200 g strawberries for strawberry sauce
- 250 ml whole cream (whipping cream)
- 100 g butter
- 80 g powder sugar
- 1 whole eggwhite
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 150 g powder sugar
- 2 tbs strawberry sauce from above
- Put the butter, water and a pinch of salt to a pot. Bring to boil and cook till the butter dissolves. As soon as the mixture is completely fluid, add the flour and start mixing with a wooden spoon, till a bowl of dough forms (for about 2 minutes).
- Let the dough cool and then add and whisk in the two whole eggs and one egg yolk. Whisk till you get a smooth mass. Put it to a piping bag with star shaped nozzle and create small buns on a tray with parchment paper. Leave some room between them to allow them to grow a little during baking.
- Sprinkle with water and bake at 200 degrees Celsius for about 35 minutes (without opening the oven). After they are baked, let them cool completely.
- For the filling, cook the strawberries with a spoon of sugar, till the strawberries are soft. Mix them to get a sauce consistency and continue cooking the fruit sauce for few more minutes to enable the thickening.
- Let the sauce cool. After it is cooled, put aside about 2 table spoons of it for the icing.
- Whisk the softened butter with sugar till creamy. Add the cooled strawberry sauce and mix it. Add the cream cheese, 100 ml from the whole cream and whisk till you get a fluffy and creamy filling.
- Slice the baked choux pastry horizontally into halves, fill them with the strawberry filling, on tom of that, put some whipped cream. Dip the upper halves of the pastry into the icing which you get by whisking the egg white, sugar, lemon juice and 2 spoons of the strawberry sauce and let them dry. Place them on top of the filling and you can serve the choux pastry.