Steamed Layered Cake (Nyonya Kuih)
Steamed layered cake is the most famous dessert in Malaysia. It is a favourite of many adults and children. The five layer cake is one of the most popular pastries, it's also colourful and looks very attractive.
- 220 g Tapioca Flour
- 30 g Rice Flour
- 310 ml Coconut Milk
- 160 g Sugar
- 150 ml Water
- 4 sprig Pandan Leaf (knotted)
- Mix together tapioca flour, rice flour and coconut milk and then leave to one side.
- Put water, sugar and pandan leaf in another bowl and cook until the sugar has dissolved for approximately 7-10 minutes. Then pour into the mixture above and then sieve after.
- Divide batter into 5 portions, mix one portion of batter with 1 drop of colouring. Leave 1 portion uncoloured white.
- Grease a 8x8inch steaming tray with cooking oil.
- Now pour in a portion of batter into steaming tray. Steam for approximately 5 minutes.
- Then after pour a different colour portion of batter ontop of the first layer and steam for 5 minutes. Repeat this step untill 5 layers.
- After the last layer cook for 10 minutes.
- Finally after cooking, allow it sit till it has cooled before serving.