Bucatini all ‘Amatriciana
Bucatini all ‘Amatriciana is one of our favourite pasta dishes, and if you enjoy pasta as much as what we all do at home, this is definitely the dish for you to do. Quick, simple and so delicious, and like many Italian dishes, the secret always lies in the quality of the ingredients that you cook with. I used bucatini pasta, evo olive oil, whole peeled tomatoes from our garden, grated pecorino Romano cheese, some red chilli flakes, a small amount of onions and a good quality smoked pancetta. I did not use any guanciale, as I couldn't find any, but the end result was equally as good. A perfect midweek comfort food, quick, easy to make, and so delicious, and above all on the table in just 30 minutes…👌, and don’t be shy with the chilli flakes, this sauce has to be slightly spicy.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 120 g smoked pancetta or guanciale
- 100 g onions
- 600 g whole peeled tomatoes
- few pinch red chilli flakes
- few pinch sea salt flakes
- 100 g pecorino Romano cheese
- 360 g bucatini pasta
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil
- Trim some of the fat from the guanciale, cut into strips and set aside
- Heat oil in a medium size pan, add the guanciale and the sliced onions, and over medium-low heat cook for 2-3 minutes or until all the fat from the guanciale has rendered out and the guanciale is now crispy. Do not burn the onions
- Add crushed tomatoes, chilli flakes and a pinch of sea salt and cook for further 20-25 minutes on medium heat, with a lid partially on, or until the sauce has reduced a little. Remember that the guanciale, or if using pancetta, and the pecorino cheese are already salty.
- Meanwhile, add the bucatini to the boiling water, stir well and cook until pasta is al dente - refer to packet instructions. When cooked, strain and reserve ½ cup of pasta water.
- Add cooked pasta straight into the sauce and toss to combine, add 1-2 tablespoons of the reserved pasta water and stir to combine if necessary if necessary
- Serve with a generous amount of freshly grated pecorino cheese and enjoy