If there is comfort food, there are also comfort cakes. This one definitely belongs to them. Delicious apple pie with cinnamon, which is a traditional fall cake in Slovakia, is soo good, that you will bake it more often than you thought. Try out our recipe.
A traditional apple pie in Slovakia, which we bake through the whole year. But a bit more often at the end of summer or beginning of fall, when the days get a bit colder. Try this recipe and I promise, you won´t be disappotinted.
- 400 g all purpose flour
- 230 g butter
- 150 g powder sugar
- 10 g baking powder
- 1 whole egg
- 500 g apples
- 75 g crystal sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Put all the ingredients except of the last 3 (apples, sugar and cinnamon) into a bowl and mix it. Knead a compact dough and wrap it in a foil. Put for few minutes into the fridge.
- Get the apples ready. Wash them, cut into halves and remove the seeds. Grate the apples or slice them thin , sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon and mix well together.
- Now take the prepared dough from fridge, about 3/5 of it put on the bottom of the baking trey and roll in out. Put the prepared apple filling onto the dough.
- Now use the dough leftover (2/5). Sprinkle the working area with flour and roll the dough on it thin (into the size of the baking trey). As the dough is very delicate, it may tear, but don't worry, it is fixable. You may also use two layers of baking paper and roll the dough in between them.
- Place the rolled piece (or pieces) of dough on the apple filling and with the help of your fingers or palms smoothen the surface of the cake. Stick it more times with fork, so the steam has a possibility to get away from the cake without cracking it.
- Bake the cake in preheated oven on 180 degrees Celsius for about half an hour - 35 mins. Serve after the cake cooled.