I keep this beautiful memory about this recipe: when I was 8, I went with my family to South Tyrol and tasted them for the first time. Since then, every time I eat Canederli I think of that wonderful place in the square of Bolzano, in front of the Christmas markets 😍
Speck canederli with beef broth
Canederli are a very popular type of gnocchi from South Tyrol. The most common version is with speck, a spicy and tasty salami from northern Italy. I hope you enjoy! I invite you to tag me on my instagram profile @ricett_ari_o if you replicate it 💙
- 160 g Stale bread
- 160 ml Milk
- 100 g Speck
- 30 g Onion
- 20 g Unsalted butter
- 1 medium Egg
- 1 tbs Chopped chive
- 1 tbs Chopped parsley
- 1 pinch Black pepper
- 6 scoop Beef broth
- Chop the onion rather finely, then brase it in butter in a pan for 5 minutes. Then add the speck, cut into 2/3 mm cubes.
- While everything is cooking for another 5 minutes, start preparing the gnocchi mixture: cut all the bread into 1 centimeter cubes, then add the slightly warmed milk, chives, parsley, egg, pepper and speck.
- After forming a homogeneous mixture, let it rest for about 20 minutes.
- At this point, if you see that it is too soft, you can adjust the consistency with a little breadcrumbs.
- Finally, form balls of 6 cm diameter, let them rest for 10 minutes and cook in lightly salted boiling water for 15 minutes. Serve with two scoops of hot beef broth and enjoy 😁