Mama's Biftekia with Lemon Potatoes
With Mother’s Day coming up, it would be fitting to share with you all this dish because it is actually, my mum’s recipe! I’m so grateful for her love and support despite the fact that sometimes we argue... 2 strong Greek women in the kitchen, don’t mix well! I hope you love her recipe and prepare this delicious dish for your own mum.
- 500 g beef mince
- 4-5 thick bread slices soaked in water
- 1 grated small potato
- 1 egg
- 1 onion grated
- 4 garlic cloves chopped or grated
- half a bunch of chopped parsley
- Drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & pepper
- juice of 1 lemon
- pinch of dried oregano
- 6-7 potatoes cut in wedges
- Preheat your oven to 180C (fan). In a large bowl add the mince, egg, onion, potato, garlic, dry oregano and parsley.
- Squeeze out the water from the bread, and crumble it over the mince mixture. Add the olive oil, and season to taste. Mix well.
- Place the cut potatoes in a baking tray, season them, add some dry oregano and toss to coat well. Then with wet hands form the patties. Size should be larger than meatballs. Flatten them a little and place on top of the potatoes.
- Add a few knobs of butter over the biftekia and the potatoes. Then drizzle some olive oil all over again and some water to come up half way the potatoes. Finish with the juice of lemon over the potatoes.
- Bake until biftekia are soft and juicy with a nice colour and potatoes are soft and golden brown. Approximately 30’-40’ minutes depending on your oven. Serve with a crisp tangy salad and enjoy.