We knew reducing meat consumption could make a big environmental impact on the planet and general health. However, we do love our meat and found it hard at first to embrace more meat-free eating, This recipe was a game-changer for us, as it genuinely tastes as good if not better than the meaty alternative!
MEAT-FREE CHILLI BOWL
This hearty Mexican chili is loaded with flavour, but comes mostly from basic and pantry ingredients and cooks in under 40 minutes. It’s meatless, gluten-free, and vegan (pre-toppings) and makes great leftovers, too. Visit https://preppedfresh.com.au/ to find out more about our products and services.https://preppedfresh.com.au/
- 2 tbs Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large Brown onion, chopped
- 1 large Capsicum, chopped
- 2 medium Carrots, chopped
- 2 medium Stalks celery, chopped
- 4 medium Cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Chili powder
- 2 tsp Ground cumin
- 2 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1 medium Tin diced tomatoes
- 1 medium Tin black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium Tin white beans
- 500 ml Vegetable stock
- 2 medium Bay leaves
- 2 tbs Chopped coriander
- 2 tsp Lemon juice, to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, capsicum, carrot, celery, and cook for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until onion starts to brown.
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, and paprika – season with salt/pepper and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add the diced tomatoes, the drained black beans, and white beans, vegetable stock, and bay leaf. Stir to combine and let the mixture come to a simmer. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally and reducing heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer, for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and discard the bay leaf. Add coriander, chili, and stir to combine. Add seasoning and a splash of lemon juice to taste. Divide the mixture into individual bowls and serve with garnishes of your choice.