Lemon rice with Mussels - Μυδοπίλαφο
This is a popular Greek dish especially in Thessaloniki and the township of Chalastra located on the Axios river and the delta, renowned for its cultivation of quality fresh mussels.
- 250 g basmati rice
- 300 g fresh mussels cleaned, beard off and washed
- 150 g mussel meat
- 1 medium white onion, finely diced
- 3 large spring onions finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 150 ml olive oil
- 1 cup fresh dill finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint (garnish)
- 150 ml dry white wine
- 4 cup vegetable stock/ or water
- pinch saffron powder
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 small zest of a lemon
- 3 tbs salt
- 2 tbs white pepper
- Sauté white onion for 10 minutes until soft & translucent.
- Add the spring onions, dill & garlic and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, stirring for another 2 minutes.
- Add the dry white wine and cook the alcohol out (5 minutes).
- Add the stock & saffron and slow simmer for 12 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the mussels, lemon juice and zest then season well with salt and pepper.
- Cover with lid for 2-3 minutes remove the lid and any mussel shells that have not opened.
- Sprinkle the dill and stir to incorporate.
- Allow to stand for a couple of minutes.
- Serve with extra lemon, fresh mint and drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.