Black Forest popsicles | Chocolate-cherry pops
We know black forest cake, right? A gorgeous combination of chocolate, cream and cherries? Well, this recipe is the same, except it's in a popsicle! Instead, I made layers of creamy and super indulgent dark chocolate paired with cherries: sweet and tart and a dash of vanilla. I’m telling you, this is soooo good. A decadent and creamy popsicle with the fabulous combination of chocolate, cherries with a dash of vanilla. You will crave more! 😀
- 400 ml fresh cream
- 100-120 ml milk (approx 1/2 cup)
- 2 cup pitted cherries (1.5 cup halved + 1/2 cup pureed)
- 50 g dark chocolate (55% cocoa)
- 2 tbs cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 tsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup granulated/ powdered sugar
- Divide this mixture into 3 parts approx in the ratio 2:1:1 for chocolate, cherry cream and vanilla layers. (You can divide it as per your preference, but this one is the ideal combination according to me)
- For the chocolate layer. Pour the mix assigned to chocolate back into the pan. Add in the cocoa powder, chopped chocolate, cocoa powder and whisk on low heat. Add approx 2 tbsp sugar (adjust as per taste). Let the mixture simmer for 10 mins on low heat. Transfer into a container and let cool to room temperature. Further, I recommend cooling all the mix in the refrigerator to avoid any crystallisation. (follow the same for other layers).
- Meanwhile, prepare the vanilla layer: Mix the amount assigned to vanilla (1/4th of the total mix from step one) add vanilla essence and 1-1.5 tbsp of sugar. Simmer on low heat for 5 mins to ensure the sugar dissolves properly. And cool the mixture totally.
- Cherry Compote and Cherry Cream: In a pan combine, 1.5 cups halved cherries, 2-3 tbsp sugar, 1/4 tsp lime juice. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Adjust the heat to simmer and cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes, or until the cherries release their juices and the sugar dissolves. Pureed compote: Repeat the process for pureed cherries (1/2 cup pureed cherries + 1tsp sugar + a dash of lime). Let the mixtures cool.
- Now mix half of the cherry compote (with halved cherries) with 1/4th of the cream mix from step one. Adjust sweetness as per preference.
- Assemble the pops: Ensure to let all the mixtures sit in the refrigerator for 30 mins. This is done to avoid crystallisation. In popsicle moulds, pour the chocolate mix until half and place the moulds in the fridge. Then add a thin layer of cherry compote and add the vanilla layer. Place the sticks and cover with a lid/ aluminium foil to hold the sticks in place and return to the fridge for another 30 mins. Then repeat the process for creamy-cherry layer and remaining compote and return to the fridge for another 30 mins. At the end add the pureed cherry compote. Freeze for at least 8 hrs or preferably overnight. To de-mould, dip in hot (not boiling water) a few times for 2-3 secs. Serve immediately. Relish!