I am a soup freak and this is one of my favourites . This is a family favourite for vegans, vegetarians and meat eaters. You can experiment with herbs / different white beans for varied taste. I have been cooking this for years, and enjoy with friends, or just at home.
Creamy vegan rustic roast tomato soup with white beans
This is a fabulous winter or summer soup that bursts with flavour. It’s vegan but you wouldn’t know! Head to your local market and grab the very best looking in-season tomatoes. Enjoy!
- 1 kilo Best in season tomatoes
- A glug Olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper and sea salt
- 1 pinch Raw brown organic sugar
- A glug Organic balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs Olive oil
- 2 medium Onions
- 5 medium Smashed garlic cloves
- 1 Tin of organic Italian tomatoes
- 2 large Organic carrots
- 2 Fresh bay leaves
- 4 cup Vegetable stock
- 1 Tin of organic cannelloni beans
- Slow roast halved tomatoes in large pan or ceramic dish with olive oil, salt, pepper, balsamic and sugar for two hours (in a moderate oven) or when slightly coloured with a beautiful aroma.
- Then in a heavy based saucepan, over a medium heat, sauté roughly chopped onions for a good few minutes and then smashed garlic in olive oil, until transparent.
- Add the canned tomatoes to the saucepan and fry for a few minutes, then add stock, bay leaves and scrape in roast tomatoes from oven.
- Add peeled and chopped carrots. Simmer until carrots are soft, stirring occasionally. You may need to add more stock for the consistency desired.
- Lastly, add drained white beans and stir through.
- Finally remove bay leaves and transfer soup into a blender or use a stick blender. Blend until desired consistency and add more stock if needed. I like to keep the soup reasonably thick. Add extra salt pepper or sugar to taste.
- Reheat soup when ready to serve. Serve generous ladles into bowls. Optional - add basil oil, or home made pesto, and serve with fresh crusty bread.