Zabaione & coffee cream filled espresso cake
It's all of those ingredients colliding in just one comforting cake. This ode to caffe' and its marriage to zabaione (beaten egg yolk + sugar) nods slightly to the british baking tradition: the cream is mixed with chopped walnuts! Because of the rich cream filling, the sponge has to stay moist while being fairly light in its texture: that's why I have mixed white flour with wholemeal flour: the fibres will help to keep it "wet" for longer (In case your self control will allow you not to inhale this cake in once).
- 200 g all purpose white flour
- 50 g wholemeal flour
- 1 cup soy milk
- 30 g cocoa powder
- 70 g instant strong espresso coffee
- 1 cup rapeseed oil
- 2 large eggs (whole)
- 1 pinch salt
- 20 g instant yeast
- 1 whole vanilla sachet
- 200 g mascobado sugar
Zabaione & coffee cream
- 1 large egg (whole)
- 5 medium chopped walnuts
- 2 whole tablespoon of cornstarch
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 200 ml double cream
- 2 tbs espresso instant coffee
- SPONGE Start by mixing together all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Warm up the milk at low heat and melt the coffee powder until uniform and liquid.
- Add the melted coffee in milk to the bowl with dry ingredients, slowing adding the remaining wet ingredients and mix well.
- Pour in a 21 cm cake tin and cook for 25/35 mins at 180 degrees. Double check the cooking by using a spaghetto to perforate the whole depth: the spaghetto should come out almost dry.
- Leave the cake to cool down for an hour at least, until is firm enough to be sliced in half for the filling.
- FILLING In a saucepan, start by slowly melting the double cream and coffee powder.
- Now add the sugar, the vanilla, chopped walnuts and the starch making sure that all melts properly.
- Once the cream starts its solidification, add the whole egg and stir constantly until the cream becomes dense enough (see pic)
- Leave to cream at room temperature until it releases any steam and spread a generous layer in on the cut cake leaving a couple of spoons for the topping.
- Decorate with whole walnut halves.
- ... Buon appetito!