Rava Pongal - Sweet Pachadi
The combination of rava pongal - sweet pachadi is a fabulous treat to the senses. A true Tambram speciality. This sweet pachadi is particularly done in my mother-in-law’s home. She taught me some fabulous Tanjore recipes. They are precious treasures ever loved in a Tambram cuisine.https://youtu.be/cKptJA-iFP4
- 1 cup semolina
- 6 tbs husked split green gram/ moong dal
- 6 black pepper corns
- 1 1/2 tbs cumin seeds
- 3 pieces of ginger
- 16 halved cashew nuts
- 1/2 tsp asafetida/ hing powder
- 12 curry leaves
- 3 tbs ghee
- 3 tbs oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Toast the moong dal over a low fire for 40 seconds until the aroma rises. Boil and cook in a cup of water until soft. Keep aside. (This is not a very important step as sometimes I like to wash the dal and the rice well before cooking). However it is only optional.
- Roast the cashews (evenly turning it both sides) in a teaspoon of melted ghee. Keep aside.
- Boil 2½ cups of water, adding peeled chopped ginger, asafetida and salt. Keep the water on a rolling boil.
- Coarsely pound four peppercorns and the cumin. Keep aside.
- Melt a tablespoon of ghee, roast the rest of the peppercorns and stir the semolina for two minutes over a low flame until the aroma rises and it turns translucent.
- Now add the coarsely pounded pepper and cumin and the boiling spice water to the semolina. Stir for 10 seconds and then add cooked green gram. Stir briskly until it swirls into a creamy crumble. Finally, add the crushed wet curry leaves, roasted cashews and the rest of the oil and ghee.
- Serve with sweet sauce (given below) or with a coconut-cilantro chutney.
- For the Sweet Sauce - Boil and purée 4 medium to large tomatoes. Add a tablespoon of sugar and stir over the fire for 30 seconds until it thickens a little. Add a little salt and stir for 40 seconds until it thickens a little more.
- Quarter 3 medium-sized bananas and add to the sauce. Stir for 30 seconds allowing it to become a little mushy. Cool and add a cup of beaten yogurt. Mix well and serve with the rava pongal.