POPADAMS IN TAMARIND SAUCE / Appala Vethal Kuzhambu
This is a soul food in a Tamil home. A delicious tasting recipe, it is prepared with special spices without adding cooked dal. Mixed with hot steaming rice with a dollop of ghee, it tastes divine. Easy to prepare as all the ingredients are available in any Indian store. Do try it at home. The recipe for the famous Sambar powder is given in the link below the video. Prepare large portions and store in a zip-lock bag in the fridge. It stays fresh for many months.https://youtu.be/SNrlsvK50x4
- 2 medium popadam
- 3 tsp tamarind purée
- 1 1/2 tsp sambar powder
- 1/4 tsp asafetida/ hing powder
- 12 curry leaves
- 1 dried red chilli, halved
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 4 tbs sesame oil
- Tear the popadams to bits. Heat the oil, pop the mustard, fry the chilli and brown the fenugreek. Add the popadam pieces and stir for a few seconds, turning them around until they puff up and turn golden.
- Now add a cup of water, tamarind pulp, sambar powder, asafetida powder and salt. Cover and simmer over medium heat for 8 – 10 minutes.
- Squeeze in wet curry leaves, stir for five seconds and then add sesame oil. When the gravy thickens, take it off the flame. If not thick enough, add half a teaspoon of rice flour dissolved in a quarter cup of water and stir for a minute. Serve hot with steamed rice.