Peri-Peri Grilled Chicken with Salad (On a stove-top grill pan)
Tender-juicy-flavourful. Boneless chicken marinated in peri-peri sauce mix grilled to perfection and served alongside salad with chipotle dressing. This wholesome meal is healthy, nutritious, easy to put together, and oh so delicious! You can have it for brunch, lunch, or dinner.
- 2 chicken breast (boneless)
- Oil for frying (I used olive oil)
- 1 small onion
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 medium green chilly
- 1.2 cm ginger
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbs corriander powder
- 1/2 tbs turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp red chilly powder
- 1/2 tsp crushed oregano
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup peri-peri sauce (homemade or store brought)
- Salt to taste
- Bunch small lettuce - roughly cut
- 1/2 cup sliced bell peppers (red, yellow)
- 1/4 cup cucumber - cut in quarters
- 1 medium onion - sliced
- 1 large tomato - thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp chilly flakes
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbs chilly-chipotle sauce (homemade or store brought)
- 2 tbs freshly chopped corriander / cilantro
- 1 cup olive oil
- Salt to taste
- MARINADE Mix all the ingredients of the marinade in a blender to form a smooth paste. Transfer to a bowl. Makes in the chicken and marinate for at least 40 minutes - let the flavors infuse.
- SALAD: Add a tsp of olive oil in a shallow non-stick pan, and add in chopped chillies and sauté for a minute. Then add all veggies except tomato and lettuce and stir fry on high heat for 4-5 mins.
- Transfer to a bowl, add lettuce, spices, sauce, and mix. Now in the same pan add the tomato slices and roast on both sides. I prefer to not mix the tomatoes with the salad to retain their beautiful roasted texture.
- GRILL THE CHICKEN: Let the grill pan heat for 2-3 minutes You can use a regular pan if a grill pan is not available.
- Brush the pan with oil and let heat, Ensure the oil is hot. Then place the chicken and let cook on low heat. Cover with lid for 2-3 mins. Remember, you need to cook each side only for 4-5 mins each.
- The chicken will appear to turn white on the edges as it gets cooked, flip, and cook on the other side. Ensure to brush some oil so it doesn't dry out, also brush extra marinade. If you touch it will be a little bouncy and soft. Cook each side for about 4-5 minutes (low-medium heat).
- Once done take it off the pan. Now char it directly on the flame for 15-20 seconds on each side. Let sit for 1-2 minutes before cutting it into pieces.
- PLATING: On a plate add some salad on one side, and arrange roasted tomatoes. Now a tsp of chipotle sauce and spread it an arch. Place the grilled chicken cut into bite-sized pieces. Brush some peri-peri sauce on the chicken and garnish with chopped cilantro and peri-peri sauce. Serve hot! Relish!