In Italy it is traditional to eat lentils on new year's day as they bring good fortune for the year ahead. The lentils signify coins. I live in Australia and am married to a man from an Italian background. This dish is an appropriate start to the year for any tragic Italophile!
New Year Lentils
vegetarian lentil dish
- 2 cup lentils
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 celery sticks
- 1 medium onion
- 4-5 small cherry tomatoes
- 6 tbs olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- Dice the onion, carrot and celery.
- Pour the olive oil into a medium-sized pot and slowly saute the vegetables.
- Add the lentils and the bay leaf and mix to coat them in the oil and then cover with water about 2cm above the lentils.
- Add the cherry tomatoes whole and a few grinds of black pepper.
- Slowly simmer until the lentils are soft. Check regularly to make sure there is enough water and add more if you need it. The consistency should be of a thick soup.
- Add salt to taste and serve with crusty bread and a generous drizzle of your best olive oil over the top. Buon anno!!