I grew up eating dal with many different lentils and make it often today. Dal was unique to Indian cuisine many years ago, but today people across the globe seem to make it. Like the trading of ideas ...Read more
A main dish made of lentils, vegetables and spices.
- 1 cup Mung dal, cooked
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2.5 cm Ginger piece
- 1 Yellow squash or any other, chopped
- 1 Tomato, chopped
- 1 Carrot, chopped
- 2 Green chilies, minced
- Few Cilantro leaves
- Few Curry leaves
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper corns
- 2 Dried, red chilies
- 1/8 tsp Asafetida/hing
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- Oil For frying
- Cook dal and keep aside. I pressure cooked for 2 whistles and kept on low for 2 minutes. Otherwise, cook on stove top for about 30-40 minutes till soft.
- Heat oil in a saucepan and add mustard seeds till it splutters. Then add all ingredients under mustard seeds and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add onions, ginger, green chilies, carrots and curry leaves and fry till soft with seasoning.
- Add squash and tomatoes and fry for a few minutes longer.
- Lastly, add the cooked dal and cook for another 10 minutes till everything is mixed well. Taste for salt and garnish will cilantro.