Moroccan grilled chicken with a cinnamon, onion and butter rice
This finger licking chicken dish is popular in Morocco and you'll find it in most restaurants and street food stalls. The marinade is made of lemon juice, garlic, harissa and of course the beautiful Moroccan spices. It gives the chicken a superb flavour. It goes so well with the onion rice flavoured with cinnamon and butter.
- 1 kg Chicken thighs or any parts you prefer
- 3 clove Garlic
- 1 handful Parsley and coriander (chopped)
- 1 tbs Tomato paste
- 1 tsp Harissa or any other hot sauce
- 2 tbs Olive oil
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Ginger
- 1 large Lemon juice
- 300 g Long grain rice ( I used the brow one)
- 2 medium Onions
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbs Butter
- 1 tbs Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- Gather all the ingredients and preheat the oven 200C.
- In a large bowl, add the chicken parts and all the spices, the lemon juice, the 2 tbsp olive oil, the tomato paste, the harissa, the mustard and mix well.
- Add the minced garlic, the chopped parsley and coriander.
- Mix well to incorporate all the ingredients together. Set aside to rest.
- Transfer the chicken to a baking tray, add 50ml of water and bake until the chicken is done, about 40 minutes.
- For the last 5 minutes, turn the oven into the grill mode.
- *For the rice, boil the rice in salty water and drain it.
- Cut the onions into slices (half moon).
- In a large saucepan, add the tbsp of olive oil and 1 tbsp of butter.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium heat until they are translucent.
- Add the rice to the onions and stir well.
- Add the other tbsp of butter, cinnamon and the pepper and mix well for 4 minutes. Serve your chicken with your rice. Enjoy 😉