My grandma was a Vlaha (a minority of Greeks with their own dialect who were cavalry warriors during the Byzantine era and rich merchants later on during the Ottoman occupation of Greece) and specific...Read more
Χορτόπιτα // Hortopita // Greens pie
This is a delicious Greek greens pie that can be served anytime of the day, even for breakfast and you can use any greens that are seasonally available. It is made exactly how my grandma used to make it for over 60 years in her village in Kalabaka and when I create it for my family I always think of her.
- 300 g kale & spinach pack rinsed and pat dried
- 4 spring onions diced
- 1 leek chopped
- 10 sprigs of parsley, leaves only roughly chopped
- 5 sprigs of dill roughly chopped
- 200 g Greek feta crumbled optional
- 1 packet of fillo pastry
- 50 ml Extra Virgin Olive oil
- In a heavy based casserole add some olive oil and over medium heat sauté first the onions until softened, followed by the leek and then by the kale and spinach. Once they’re all softened and wilted, turn off the heat add the herbs and feta cheese if you’re using and season to your taste.
- Let cool and turn your over to 190C and prepare your pan with the fillo pastry. Brush the pan and use half amount of the fillo pastry as the base. Brush each fillo pastry with olive oil slightly.
- Empty the filling in the pan; cut off some of the edges of the fillo pastry and wrap inside and around the filling. Take the rest fillo pastry and brushing slightly with olive oil cover the top. Cut the pie without touching the bottom, into squares, sprinkle some nigella seeds or sesame and bake until golden brown.