With Sydney’s weather getting warmer... now is a great time to make a batch of refreshing limoncello… as it takes 27 days for the lemon to infuse. Great after any meal, its super refreshing served with plenty of ice. Make sure your lemons are organic. This is the vodka version. The pure alcohol version isn't for the faint hearted! My mate Richard and I made the first batch together by doubling the quantities so we each had enough. I'm no teetotaller, but my batch lasted twice as long as his!
- 6 lemons (organic and unwaxed)
- 25 fl oz bottle of vodka (or pure alcohol)
- 225 g caster sugar
- 450 ml water (pure bottled)
- Soak the lemons in a bowl of cold water for 1 hour. Then dry with kitchen paper.
- Carefully peel the rind from the lemons with a vegetable peeler, taking care not to remove the white pith.
- Place lemon rind in a wide-mouthed jar and pour over vodka and cover. Leave in a dark place for 20 days.
- After 20 days, put the sugar and bottled water in a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat and cover until cold.
- When cold, add the sugar mixture to the lemon zest mixture. Strain the mixture and pour into sterilised bottles and seal.
- Leave in a cold, dark place for seven days before serving.
- Serve cold (better over ice) and once opened, store in the fridge.