This is a drink, we await every summer. Well, I'd say summers in India begin with Aam Panna when the raw mango produce floods the market. This drink is childhood in a glass! Just as the scorching summers would arrive our mothers and grandmothers used to make this tangy drink, an energy booster and a summer cooler. Just a glass of Aam Panna makes you feel so rejuvenated. Perfect to beat the heat!
Aam Panna (a raw-mango cooler) is a healthy and nutritious summer cooler to beat the heat. A sip of this cooler makes you feel so fresh and rejuvenated. It is so yummy and has a host of health benefits, renowned for its heat-resisting properties. This tangy beverage is a regular in summers in most Indian households, and one of the most awaited. Made with unripe mangoes (kachi keri) this is a mix of sweet and tang with hints of roasted cumin, cardamom and black salt, oh and a dash of mint!
- 2 large raw mangoes (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 45-50 g jaggery block (adjust as per taste) - you can add sugar alternatively
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp black pepper - ground
- 1 tbs chopped coriander (optional)
- 5-6 mint leaves
- 2-3 cup water (approx.)
- Place the mangoes along with water in a saucepan and boil. Simmer for 10 minutes until the mangoes get soft and tender.
- Take off heat and let cool completely. Pulse and blend this mixture (don't rinse the water) along with mint leaves and coriander.
- In the saucepan add pureed raw mangoes with jaggery (adjust as per taste) and let it melt. Stir occasionally. Add rock salt, pepper, cumin powder, chaat masala and mix. Let simmer for 2-5 minutes on low flame. Adjust the water to the desired consistency (but don't make it too thin)
- Take off heat and let the Panna cool. Chill in the refrigerator for a few hours.
- To serve, -) You can apply some chaat masala/ red chilly powder on the rim of the glass (optional). -) Add in some ice cubes in serving glasses. Pour the aam panna. -) Garnish with mint leaves and raw mangoes (tossed in chilly-salt)* -)Serve chilled. * sliced raw mangoes tossed in salt and chilly powder seasoning and lemon is a snack we enjoy in India, as is. Alternatively, you can mix the aam panna with club soda/sparkling water in the ratio 3: 1 (3 parts of aam panna and one part of club soda)