I have not one but three lemon trees which started fruiting a couple of years. Each year producing bigger & better lemons. The harvest is shared with friends and neighbors. Nothing goes to waste, the peels are used for cleaning my brass ware stuffs and even microwave by putting it in a bowl of water for 5 minutes then another 5 minutes to let it sit & steam and just wiped clean. Later it is thrown into the compost bin.
LEMON 🍋 Curd
Lemon Curd is silky smooth, sweet & tarty kind of jelly made from homegrown lemons. It can be used in cakes, pies, tarts, pavlovas as fillings or simply just eaten as it is with a spoon.
- 1 cup Granulated sugar
- 6 large Egg yolks
- 1/2 cup Lemon juice plus the zest
- 1/2 cup Cold butter cut in cubes
- Blitz up the sugar with the lemon zest.
- In a heavy saucepan add the sugar and yolks, whisk it together.
- Add the lemon juice. Put the pan on the hob whisking at all times till it cooks up and begins to thicken.
- Remove, add the butter, whisk till the butter has melted and the curd becomes smooth and silky.
- Strain the curd through a sieve to remove the zest. Bottle the curd or keep it covered in the bowl with cling film. Store in the fridge till as and when required.
- This should keep in the fridge for about a week or two.