Green Tomato Spicy Sauce / Pacha Thakaali Pitlai
A typically tasty and unique dish prepared in a Tambram home. These green/unripe tomatoes give a special zing to the dish added with pitlai powder. Important Tip: This dish does not need tamarind to be added as it already has a tanginess of its own. Green tomatoes are tangier than the ripe ones. It's very tasty when mixed with streamed rice and dal and with a dollop of ghee.https://youtu.be/5y2-FAaFKFc
- 1/4 cup tur dal, soaked in hot water with a little turmeric powder for 20-35 minutes and cooked to a soft mash
- 4-5 medium tomatoes chopped into 4 pieces
- 2 tbs pitlai powder (in the podi section)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- .68 kg pumpkin peeled and chopped (optional)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 8-9 curry leaves
- 1 tsp oil
- Boil a little water with salt and cook the tomatoes until they are soft but retain shape.
- Heat oil and pop the mustard. Add the curry leaves and immediately add the cooked dal mixed with a little water and stir for a few seconds.
- Now add the tomatoes to this and stir all in for a few seconds. Remove and transfer to a serving dish.