Its made in every Hakka Chinese homes especially during the Lunar New Year. Learnt to make it from an old aunt of mine.
Fried Glutinous Sesame Balls
A dimsum menu and made in almost every Hakka Chinese homes during the Lunar New Year.
- 400 g Glutinous Rice flour
- 100 g Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Sesame seeds
- 1 l Cooking oil for frying
- Mix flour, sugar and add enough water to make a stiff dough. Leave to rest for a couple of hours.
- Divide dough into approximately 20 golf ball size. Roll with both palms till smooth and coat with sesame seeds.
- Should the dough be too dry and the seeds does not stick then wet your palms and roll the ball. Coat it well with the seeds.
- Heat oil, not too hot or else the ball will brown too fast and will not cook inside.
- Gradually press each ball with a slotted spatula continuously as its frying. This enables it to puff up and the inside gets cooked.
- Once turned brown & puffed up, remove and place on a strainer.
- Best eaten hot with your favorite cup of tea.