With this croquetas recipe you will impress your guests in your next dinner party! And also it's a great recipe to reduce food waste, as we will use roasted chicken leftovers to prepare this amazing croquetas.
Spanish Chicken Croquetas
Croquetas are one of my favourite tapas. They are so easy to prepare and super versatile. You can choose any filling you like: chicken, ham, cod; or even do vegetarian croquetas with spinach or mushrooms... the possibilities are endless! Also, you can prepare them in advance; freeze them and have them ready for when you have a party.
- 400 g roasted chicken
- 1 onion
- 2 large eggs
- 150 g breadcrumbs
- 200 g flour
- 400 ml milk
- 50 g butter
- 1/2 tbs nutmeg
- Mince the already roasted chicken and onion until small pieces.
- To prepare the béchamel sauce heat a large frying pan on medium high heat and add the butter.
- Once melted add the flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg and stir together with a wooden spoon until smooth and glossy.
- At this point add the hot milk and stir vigorously with a balloon whisk to avoid lumps in the sauce.
- Remove from the heat, add the minced roasted chicken and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl, cover with kitchen film and let it cool down before putting it in the fridge. Let it rest in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
- Once the dough is ready make small oval shaped balls with it.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Pass each croqueta though the beaten eggs and breadcrumbs before deep fry them.