Ριζόγαλο // Rizogalo // Greek Rice pudding
This is my version with vanilla and orange blossom water, baklava spice & nut mix topped with pomegranates. It is old and one of the classic Greek desserts, so humble, but so delicately entwined with childhood memories that warm the heart. We loved it as kids and now my children love it as well. Rizogalo is perfect eaten hot or cold, any day, anytime and any season. Try it and you’ll love it as well.
- 1 cup arborio rice or other shortgrain rice unrinsed.
- 1 l approx of full cream milk or other milk of your choice
- 2-3 tbs caster sugar to taste
- 2 tsp vanilla paste or more to taste
- 1-2 tsp orange blossom water, optional
- Ground cinnamon
- Pomegranates, optional
- In a heavy based saucepan bring milk to high heat, then add the rice and cook stirring often so the rice won’t stick to the bottom or form a skin on the surface. Add sugar, vanilla paste and orange blossom water if using, taste and adjust to your preference.
- Keep cooking until rice is cooked and thickened, you should get a porridge consistency, could take 30-45 mins depending on the rice. Place in bowls and serve hot or cold with a dusting of ground cinnamon or go wild with your toppings.