Πίτα // Pita bread
Fluffy, fragrant and mouthwatering pita bread that after one bite you will be addicted.
- 500 g Italian flour 00
- 300 ml Luke warm water
- 2 tsp honey
- 1,1/2 tsp fine salt
- 2 tsp dry yeast
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- In a large bowl mix the flour and salt. In another bowl stir together the water, the yeast and the honey and allow to activate.
- Once yeast is frothy, stir in the olive oil and pour in the flour. Knead for about 8-10mins or until you get a smooth dough. Oil the surface of the dough and the sides of the large bowl. Place the dough in, cover and allow to rise until double in size (1 hour minimum).
- Punch the air out of the dough, roll out onto lightly floured work surface, cut into 8 pieces and form into balls (100gr each approx.). Rest for 30mins covered and preheat your oven to the highest temperature.
- Line two trays with baking paper. Flour lightly your work surface and take one of the dough balls. With your fingers only pat down the dough to form a round disk of about 15cm, dust off the excess flour and place on the tray. Continue with the rest and bake for 2-3mins or until golden and puffed like pillows.
- Remove from oven and cover them in a clean towel to keep them soft. Split them and fill them with my yiros, and some fresh herbs and vegetables. My yiros recipe is on my website and in her as well. Enjoy!