Μικρασιάτικα Χαβούτσια (Καρότα) Κοκκινιστά // Carrot and Beef Stew from Asia Minor
I’m bringing you another very old dish from our lost lands of Asia Minor. Full of aromatic spices, scrumptious beef melting in your mouth with the carrots playing a surprising starring role, full of flavour!
- 1 kg chuck diced in bite sizes
- 2 large carrots cut diagonally in chunks
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp ground clove
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- 400 g chopped tomatoes fresh or canned
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch of sugar
- Brown the meat with onion over medium heat. Then add the tomatoes, the spices and bay leaves.
- On a frying pan melt the butter, add the chopped carrots, some salt and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add the carrots to the meat, pour enough water to almost cover the meat, season well and add a pinch of sugar, to calm the bitterness of the tomatoes.
- Cover and bring to boil, then drop heat on low and simmer for 2 & 1/2 hours over the stove or pop in the oven at 190C.
- Meat is ready when it is fork tender and water has been absorbed. Serve with a chilled red wine and transport yourself to Anatolia.