Creamy corn chowder
Hearty and filling, there’s nothing like a good corn chowder when you’re in the mood for some comfort food...and it’s easier to make than you think!
- 2 tbs Olive oil
- 1 Onion
- 2 clove Garlic
- 2 Potatoes
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Chilli powder
- 2 tsp Vegetable stock powder
- 500 g Frozen corn, or 5 cobs of fresh corn
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chives or spring onions, for serving
- In a large pot, heat olive oil on medium heat and add onion and garlic. Saute for a few minutes until translucent.
- Add cumin and sizzle for a minute or so.
- Add corn kernels and saute for a further minute.
- Add paprika and chilli and let it cook for a minute.
- Add vegetable stock and 5 cups water (or enough so liquid sits above ingredients).
- Add potatoes, and let pot come to a gentle boil. Simmer until potatoes are cooked.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. (Important: Do not add salt until soup is fully cooked, to ensure the corn stays soft and the final flavour can be better controlled).
- Use a stick blender to blend half the mixture so some chunks of potato and corn are still visible.
- Serve hot and add chives or spring onions for serving. A dollop of sour cream can also be added if preferred.