My mom used to make black eye peas. She loved them and said they were nutritious. After I started cooking on my own, I loved North Indian spices and started experimented with them. I mixed these spices with the peas and loved it and have been making it ever since. I like mixing cuisines and spices and this is the result.
Black eye pea curry
A tasty and nutritious curry to be eaten with rice or flat breads. It keeps for days in the refrigerator and can be frozen as well.
- 1.5 cup Black eye peas
- 1 large Onion
- 2 large Tomatoes
- 2 Green chilies
- 4 cm Ginger piece
- 1 tbs Cumin powder
- 1 tbs Coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp Chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tbs Garam masala
- 2 tbs Oil
- Soak the beans overnight and pressure cook it till soft, about 2 whistles. However, you can cook over a stove as well.
- Then add all spices but garam masala. Fry till well blended, about 2 mins.
- Add onions and fry till soft.
- Add tomatoes and cook till liquified.
- Add the beans and mix well.
- Add the garam masala and mix and cook for about 20 minutes till everything is well blended and spices are infused into the beans.