Κολοκυθάκια Αυγολέμονο // Stuffed zucchinis in egg-lemon sauce
A traditional summer dish with humble ingredients but with a delicious flavour that leaves you with a sensation of bliss. This old recipe had no measurements so feel free to adjust to your taste. Any leftover filling can be frozen to be used another day.
- 5 zucchinis cored and flesh scooped out and chopped
- 1 & 1/2 cup medium grain rice unwashed
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1 large carrot cut into rounds
- Handful of chopped mint
- Handful of chopped dill
- Handful of chopped parsley
- 1 & 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- salt & pepper
Egg / Lemon sauce
- 1 egg
- juice of 1 lemon or more
- Sauté the onion and garlic until soft and fragrant then set aside to cool. Preheat the oven to 180C.
- In large bowl mix the zucchini flesh, rice, herbs and season to taste. Add the cooled onion and garlic and mix well.
- Take the zucchinis, salt their hollowed cores slightly and stuff them with the rice filling but not fully, because rice needs room to expand.
- Arrange the carrot pieces on the bottom of a baking dish with a lid. Then place the zucchinis on top of them and pour around the stock until it reaches halfway up the zucchinis.
- Put lid on or cover them with alfoil and pop in the oven to cook about 30’ - 40’ minutes. Check them halfway to see how long the rice needs to fully cook.
- Once food is ready, beat the egg until almost fluffy (you want a semi - runny consistency), add the lemon juice and with a ladle take some of the cooked stock. Whisking add the hot liquid to temper the egg until you have used most of it.
- Drizzle all the sauce, over the zucchinis and serve with crusty bread and a nice cool white wine.